Independent living

Independent living


Independent living

Options for young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Housing in Bolton

There are a range of housing and support options available for young people with SEND. We would like to support young people to find the right home to live an independent life. Where this is not possible, Bolton has a range of support services offered by the Council and its partners.

Housing support services advise young people who want to live independently to start planning as early as possible.

Start planning early

Between the ages of 16 and 18, you will start to move from child health and social care services to adult services. Planning should start in year 9 of school (13 to 14 years old).

Things to think about

Some young adults stay at home with their parents or carers. Others get a place to live on their own or with friends. Think about the options:

  • living on your own or with someone
  • renting, buying or living in a supported housing
  • living somewhere quiet or in a busy town centre
  • housing costs
  • managing a budget

Housing Support Services

Independent Living Service - aimed at supporting independence for disabled people. The service includes advice and information, loan equipment, housing modifications / adaptations and technology support. Contact:  Tel - 01204 337020

Extra Care Register - previously known as the Priority Services Register, the Extra Care team are there to support you if you think you might struggle in a power cut. Contact: Tel - 105 or 0800 195 4141

Housing Benefits - if you are on a low income, you may get help towards your rent. You can apply if you are working, or unemployed. Contact:  Tel - 01204 331590

Money Skills - providing free, confidential and impartial services on issues such as money and debt advice, making your money last all week/month and advice on saving money on your gas and electric costs. Contact: Tel - 01204 332916

The Bond Board - is a registered charity that exists to reduce homelessness by getting people on low incomes into private rented accommodation. It provides Bond Guarantees for tenancies which take the place of cash deposits and provide security for landlords. Support services for tenants and landlords is also available. Contact: Tel - 01204 546130

Bolton Cares - delivers high quality, compassionate care, and support to help local people live better lives. Contact: Tel - 01204331111

Time 2 Talk mediation service for young people aged 13+. Improving relationships to prevent homelessness. Contact: Tel - 01204 335945

Housing services and how to access them

Type of Home Description How to Access

Social Housing (Previously well known as Council Housing)

Wide range of homes to rent at below market rent levels. Now provided by Registered Social Landlords (not for profit). Low level support can be available to make your tenancy a success

Sign up to Bolton Council Housing Register and bid for homes that come available.

Tel – 01204 335811

Social Housing – Disability Housing Register


Range of homes that have been adapted for people with a disability

As above

Private Rent

Individuals or businesses providing a wide range of homes to rent at market rent levels

Advertised mainly on the internet by companies such as Rightmove or Zoopla

Private Rent (Ethical Lettings)

‘Let Us’ is a Greater Manchester partnership of reputable housing providers managing private rental homes in an ethical way

For information about homes available contact Bolton Council Housing Options-Advice contact details as above.

For information about Let Us:


Home Ownership

Homes to purchase on the open market. Usually via mortgage or personal finance

Homes advertised by estate agents

Home Ownership for People with Long-Term Disability (HOLD)

This scheme allows a first-time buyer to buy any home for sale on a shared ownership basis (part rent/part buy). As long as a Social Housing provider is willing to purchase the other share and agrees a repair and maintenance package

For information:


Shared Ownership

Limited number of homes available from our social housing partners on a part rent/part buy basis

Limited availability, for information contact:


Supported Housing

Housing is available where housing, support and sometimes care services are provided as an integrated package.

In Bolton currently this can be as a shared house (own bedroom, sharing rest of home including on-site support). Alternatively self-contained flat/apartment in a complex with on-site support

Social care or support staff should be aware of Supported Housing options or contact Bolton Council Housing Options-Advice contact details as above.


Shared Lives

Available for people aged 16+ with a range of needs. A Shared Lives Carer family invite you to live in their home to learn new skills to move towards independent living

For information:

Tel- 01204 337775

Homeless Prevention Accommodation

Bolton has a range of accommodation aimed at those at risk of becoming homeless. This includes charities such as Backup North West with accommodation specifically for young people

At risk of homelessness contact:

Tel -01204 335900


Backup North West:

Tel – 01204 520183


Contact us

Homes for Bolton

Ground Floor
Town Hall

01204 335811