Access to work

Access to work


Access to work

Access to Work is a publicly funded employment support programme that aims to help more disabled people start or stay in work.

To be eligible, you must: 

  • Have an impairment or health condition that has a long-term substantial adverse effect on your ability to carry out your job
  • Be over 16 years old, but no upper age limit
  • Be in, or about to start, paid employment - including self-employment - or a work trial
  • Normally live and work in Great Britain
  • Not be claiming Incapacity Benefit or Employment Support Allowance once you are in work 

Access to Work applies to any paid job which is part-time or full-time, permanent or temporary. There are no minimum hours that must be worked to be eligible. It does not affect other benefits.

Support that may be provided: 

  • Special aids and equipment
  • Adaptations to equipment
  • Travel to work - you may need to contribute what you would normally have to pay for travel to and from work
  • Travel in work - depends on the type of travel and what the employer would normally be paying
  • Communication support at interviews
  • A wide variety of support workers
  • Awareness training for colleagues
  • Alterations to premises

You can apply online or by calling the Access to Work helpline via GOV.UK.

Universal Credit

If you are claiming Universal Credit and have a disability or health condition, you will be able to apply for Access to Work for any paid work that you do.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP can help you with the extra costs of having a disability or long-term health condition. It is for people aged 16 to 64, and can be paid to people in work as well as those out of work.

Intensive Personalised Employment Support (IPES)

IPES programme is a voluntary contracted provision to help those who are harder to help. The programme is delivered by The Growth Company for customers in the North West.

The aim of the provision is to help customers who have one or more disabilities and complex barriers to work, and who want to work but require intensive support to achieve this.

A referral must be done by the Disability Employment Adviser at the Jobcentre.

Support for employers

A new national digital service, Support with Employee Health and Disability, provided by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP), is supporting employers to support their employees with disabilities in the workplace.