If you are on a low income you may get help towards your rent. You can apply if you are working, or unemployed.

You must:

  • rent your home
  • live in the home you're claiming benefit for
  • be on a low income
  • have savings of less than £16,000

If you have a partner we will include their income and savings when we work out any benefit.

You usually can't get housing benefit if you're a full-time student, unless you're disabled or have dependant children.

From 7 November 2018 you won’t normally be able to get housing benefit. You’ll need to apply for help through Universal Credit.