Our Local Welfare Provision (LWP) scheme helps vulnerable people in short-term crisis with food and essential items.
You can get help with:
- food from a food bank
- lighting and heating
- essential household items
- returning to live independently after being in care, hospital or prison
- staying in your home rather than going into care
The scheme is funded on an annual basis and once the fund has been exhausted for that financial year, there will be no further awards.
You need to be receiving one of the following:
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Support
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income related Employment Support Allowance
- Pension Credit
- Universal Credit
The scheme is purely discretionary and you have no automatic right to the extra help.
You will not need to repay anything but if you sell or dispose of the items, we will ask you to repay an amount equal to the value of the items we provided.
If your application has been refused, you can ask for the decision to be looked again.