If you don’t agree with an overpayment

An overpayment is housing benefit that has been paid to you or a third party on your behalf to which you were not entitled.

Overpayments happen when you have a change in your circumstances from a date you have already received payment for.

Please check the notification letter carefully to make sure that your income and other details are correct. If they’re not, please contact us straight away.

You can:

  • ask us to explain it
  • ask us to look at the decision again. This is called a reconsider
  • appeal to an independent tribunal to look at the decision

See more about how to appeal