What if I don’t make an arrangement to pay?

An overpayment is housing benefit that has been paid to you or a third party on your behalf to which you were not entitled.

Overpayments happen when you have a change in your circumstances from a date you have already received payment for.

Not repaying your overpayment may result in one of the following methods:

  • deductions from other benefits
    We can also apply to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to make deductions from some state benefits.
  • Direct Earnings Attachments (DEA)
    We may ask employers to deduct any Housing Benefit overpayments you owe from your pay.
  • debt collection agency
    We may ask a debt collector to visit your home to collect the debt on our behalf.
  • County Court Judgement (CCJ)
    A CCJ can affect your credit rating and you could be liable for any costs incurred.

If you think that you will have trouble paying, please contact us straight away.