Carers and care workers

You may be able to reduce the amount you have to pay.

If you apply for a discount or exemption, you must continue to pay your current instalments until your bill is amended.


If someone in your household is a carer, you may be able to claim a discount. 

You cannot claim this discount if you are caring for:

  • your partner, or
  • your child who is under 18 years old

You can claim this discount if you are a carer and: 

  • live in the same property as the person you are caring for
  • provide care for at least 35 hours per week

The person being cared for must be entitled to one of the following benefits:

  • Disability Living Allowance for care at either the middle or highest rate
  • Personal Independence Payment daily living component
  • Attendance Allowance
  • under the Industrial Injuries or War Pensions with Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Maximum Disablement Benefit  with highest rate of Constant Attendance Allowance

There is no limit to the number of people that can be considered carers in a property but each carer must complete the online form.

Care workers

If someone in your household is a care worker, you may be able to claim a discount. 

A care worker must:

  • voluntarily care for an elderly person or a person with a disability
  • be paid no more than £44 per week
  • live where the care is given or in premises provided by your employer and
  • provide care on behalf of a local authority or charity, or be employed by the person you care for

Apply for carers discount