The Department for Work and Pensions introduced the  Household Support Fund (HSF) in October 2021.  The HSF has now been extended to September 2022. We will be using it to provide a range of services.

Household Support

If you need help with food, gas, electric or household goods, you can apply for Local Welfare Provision.

You do not need to receive benefits to apply for this help.

We will need to check your identity, that you live in Bolton and what you income and expenses are. This all helps us to work out if you need help from LWP.

.Apply for Local Welfare Provision

Children eligible for Free School Meals (FSM)

Families already receiving FSM or who meet the criteria for FSM but have pre school age children, will get help during the holiday periods. 

Vouchers are automatically sent to you and have already been sent for the Easter holidays 2022.


Care and Repair Service

Some of the  HSF already received has been invested in Bolton’s Care and Repair service.  The service provides a range of support  including financial help with boiler repairs and servicing.

You can ask for help if you rent or own your home and meet the eligibility criteria.

Further information can be found on the Bolton Care and Repair website.  They can be contacted on 01204 328 177 or 01204 328 178.

Help with rent and Council Tax

If you need help with paying your rent, you can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payment

If you need help with paying your council tax, you can apply for a Discretionary Council Tax reduction.

Apply for Discretionary Council Tax Reduction

Bolton's Fund: Investing in our communities

Community Support

The Hardship Support Fund is also being used to provide grants to a range of community-based organisations via Bolton’s Fund (Bolton CVS).  These organisations will be providing a range of support across the Borough to residents in financial need.