You will require our permission for works connected with digging into a public road. You also need a licence to inspect, adjust, maintain, repair, renew, move, alter or remove apparatus on or in the highway.

Non-statutory undertakers are required to complete a Section 50 Street Works licence application before any works are allowed to commence.

You could be fined up to £5,000 if you fail to obtain or break the conditions of a licence.

You can do emergency work without a licence, but you must tell us within two hours of starting work.

Apply for a Street Works Licence

Our charges and fees


Further Information

If you need any more information or advice, or help in completing your application please contact us.