If you are on a low income you may get help towards your rent. You can apply if you are working, or unemployed.

You must:

  • rent your home
  • live in the home you're claiming benefit for
  • be on a low income
  • have savings of less than £16,000, unless you receive one of the following:
    • Income Support
    • Jobseekers Allowance (income based)
    • Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
    • Pension Credit (guarantee credit)

If you have a partner we will include their income and savings when we work out any benefit.

If you are working age, you won’t normally be able to get housing benefit. You will need to apply for help through Universal Credit unless you live in temporary or supported accommodation.

If you are:

  • living in temporary or supported accommodation, or
  • you and any partner you have are both pension age

You can make a new claim for Housing Benefit.

Make a claim