In October 2021, the Department for Work and Pensions confirmed the introduction of a Household Support Fund (HSF). Bolton Council has been awarded £2,780,000 and this will be used to provide a range of services through the Winter months.
You can contact our support helpline by calling 01204 337221. The opening hours are:
- Monday to Friday from 8.30am – 5.30pm
- Saturdays and Sundays from 9.00am – 1.30pm
Bolton Council can provide a range of household support (Local Welfare Provision) to residents in financial need including:
- Delivery of up to 4 weeks food provision
- Gas and Electric top-ups at a value of £100 for single residents and £200 for couples and families with children
- The provision of essential household items including white goods
- Support with travel costs
You do not need to be in receipt of benefits to access this support.
We will need to establish your identity, that you are a Bolton resident and will also need evidence of your income, capital and expenditure to establish your financial need.
Children eligible for Free School Meals (FSM)
Bolton Council will be providing supermarket vouchers over the school holidays for families with children that meet the qualifying conditions for FSM. This will include pre-school age children.
Vouchers have already been issued over the October half-term and further vouchers will be issued to cover the 2 weeks Christmas holiday period and to cover the 1-week February half-term. A decision will be made in March 2022 regarding support over the Easter holidays.
There is no need to apply for the vouchers, they will automatically be issued to those families that meet the eligibility criteria.
Care and Repair Service
A proportion of the HSF has been invested in Bolton’s Care and Repair service. The service provides a range of support to residents including financial help with boiler repairs and servicing.
The service is available to residents that privately rent or own their house and meet the eligibility criteria.
Residents can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment for help with rent costs and a Discretionary Council Tax Reduction for help with Council Tax payments.
The Hardship Support Fund is also being used to provide grants to a range of community-based organisations via Bolton’s Fund (Bolton CVS). These organisations will be providing a range of support across the Borough to residents in financial need.
Bolton’s Money Skills Service
The Money Skills Service can provide a range of support to residents in financial need including:
- The provision of small household items including microwave ovens, slow cookers and toasters
- Clothing vouchers are available to purchase items of warm clothing and shoes, including school uniform
- Help towards your water costs if you are in arrears with United Utilities
- Support with utility companies to help residents to manage arrears
- Free and confidential money and debt advice
Please call 01204 33 1983 or alternatively send an email to email@example.com with your: Name / Address / Telephone Number and a brief summary of what you need help with and we will contact you.