Learning and Development Team
We offer comprehensive, high-quality training courses to suit the mandatory and essential training requirements of the children’s workforce. The training is open to all staff and practitioners who come under the umbrella of Children’s Services including:
- early years, private, voluntary and independent providers
- Start Well Centres
- childminders voluntary, community and faith sector
- youth, play and sport
The Start Well Service works with the early years workforce and other professionals to ensure the best possible start in life for every child.
Due to the current Covid-19 situation, training is now a mix of face to face and online sessions, via Microsoft Teams or Zoom.
Each of the courses has a flyer to explain the nature of the course, who it is suitable for, and outlines the type of delivery. In addition, all our courses can be delivered to your own organisations – just contact us with your requirements.
Many of the courses are free - please select the course title that you want for more information.
We have courses available online - including courses from HMRC and the Me Learning platform that has over 130 short courses to suit your needs. Please email email@example.com for more information.
You can also find out about sector specific training from the Start Well Service who work with the early years workforce and other professionals, to ensure the best possible start in life for every child.
We are pleased to announce our new Mental Health training program. Please follow the links below to learn more about each course and email LearningandDevelopment@bolton.gov.uk if you would like to book on any of them.
- Five Ways to Wellbeing is a one hour introductory workshop that explores the '5 ways to Wellbeing' and introduce the training pathway that will be available for staff to support many aspects of wellbeing and mental health.
- Connect 5 - Making Mental Wellbeing Conversations Work is a three session programme that is created to upskill non mental health staff to understand and address mental health issues within their everyday practice.
- Living Life To The Full (LLTTF) builds on helping people learn how to improve how they feel when they are feeling low or stressed.
- Mental Health Awareness is for anyone interested in developing their awareness of mental health and well-being.
- Mental Health Champions for those who support others, and to gain awareness in recognising signs and symptoms of mental health issues.
- SafeTALK - suicide alertness.
- What causes well-being to dip will help you to increase well-being in yourself and your co-workers.
Mental Health First Aid (2 day) - for those who wish to be nominated as a Mental Health First Aider
Bereavement - death, dying and grief in the age of Covid and beyond - this course is for anyone working or volunteering in Bolton who would benefit from a better understanding of bereavement and how to support others (adults) professionally or personally.
- MindEd - Mental health support for children and young people. To create your free MindEd account please visit the MindEd website. The three modules are part of the courses entitled 'core content' and are suitable as an introduction/awareness level around mental health in relation to young people:
- Introduction to the MindEd content
- Normal psychological development
- Common problems and first help
How to become a childminder
- Details of courses available can be accessed via the Start Well website
Team Teach - aimed at Bolton Foster Carers
The following course is available:
Bolton Safeguarding Children Partnership
This is an example of a training matrix that you can use in your setting, to record staff completion of mandatory training. It is a good way to show staff, and Ofsted where your setting is up to in undertaking both mandatory and CPD training.
A blank template is available for you tailor to your own setting.
Health and Safety
- Level 2 Award in Health & Safety in the Workplace helps candidates develop a greater understanding of health and safety issues, and the role that everyone plays in maintaining a safe working environment.
- Level 2 Award in The Principles of Risk Assessment is a regulated and nationally recognised qualification, specifically designed to provide candidates with a greater awareness of risks within the workplace, and the measures that can be taken to control them.
- Level 2 Award in The Principles of Manual Handling is a regulated and nationally recognised qualification, designed to cover the basic principles of manual handling.
- Fire safety – Awareness helps candidates develop a greater understanding of fire risks within the workplace and the measures that can be taken to control them.
Health and Safety - supporting people
- Safe Handling and Administration of Medication L2 for Children, including Ofsted requirements gives delegates the knowledge required to administer medicines safely and efficiently to children in line with policies, legislation, safety practice and Ofsted standards.
HMRC E-learning courses
Courses for advice and guidance from the Inland Revenue: