Paying for accommodation

If you are happy with the property, you must check if the property is affordable for you before you sign a tenancy agreement. If you are working you must check whether your wage or salary is enough to cover the rent, council tax, utility bills, food shopping etc. If you need help to understand if the property is affordable please contact Housing Options.

If you are on benefits or on a low income, you may be able to claim housing benefit to pay for all or part of the rent.

You will need to check that your landlord is happy to receive housing benefit.

The amount of housing benefit that the council can pay will depend upon the Local Housing Allowance Rates.

To find out how much benefit you may get you can use the Governments Benefit Calculator.

See our Housing Benefit page for more information on how to apply.

See our paying for accommodation advice notes.