A Compulsory Purchase Order is when the government, local council or utility company has the legal right to buy or take the rights over your private property because it falls within a public redevelopment scheme e.g. sewer, water or gas pipe scheme.
In all cases:
- Owners/occupiers affected by the scheme will be served notices
- All the schemes allow for objections and all objections are considered
- If the order is confirmed compensation is given to those directly affected by the scheme
- Scheme enquiries need to be directed to the relevant department
- Contact Legal Services for procedural enquiries
- Legal advice is not available