A Compulsory Purchase Order is when the government, local council or utility company has the legal right to buy or take the rights over your private property because it falls within a public redevelopment scheme eg sewer, water or gas pipe scheme.
In all cases:
- owners/occupiers affected by the scheme will be served notices
- all the schemes allow for objections and all objections are considered
- if the order is confirmed compensation is given to those directly affected by the scheme
- scheme enquiries need to be directed to the relevant department
- contact Legal Services for procedural enquiries
- legal advice is not available