Before you move into a property
A Landlord/agent will have certain responsibilities that they must adhere to before you move into a tenancy. These include:
- Providing you with an up-to-date gas safety certificate signed by a Gas Safe register-listed engineer
- Providing you with an Energy Performance Certificate
- Protecting your cash Deposit in one of the three tenancy deposit government-authorised scheme
- Providing you with an inventory of all the furniture and fittings in the property, including the condition of these items. This inventory should be completed by both you and the Landlord, signed and dated.
- Providing you with a tenancy agreement, detailing the length of the tenancy, rent amount, amount of deposit, process for reporting repairs etc.
- Providing you with the Landlord or acting agent’s contact details
Make sure that you have all of these in place before you move into the property.
From October 2015 all new tenants or those renewing a fixed term must be given a how to rent guide. Landlords must always ensure that the booklet provided is the most up to date copy.
For more information you can call on 01204 335900 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.