Funded early education and childcare

For the latest information on funded childcare for working parents and to check your eligibility, visit Childcare Choices

Funded places for two year olds

Some two year old children are eligible for a funded place - eligibility criteria can be found on GOV.UK. If you think your child might qualify, you can apply online via our Citizen Portal, or through an approved childcare provider. You will need:

  • your national insurance number
  • date of birth
  • your child’s name
  • your child’s date of birth

When visiting your chosen childcare provider, you will be asked to show your child’s birth certificate.

Apply online 

Funded places for three and four year olds

Every child aged three and four is eligible to access up to 570 hours of free early education per year, 15 hours term time or stretched over the year.  The free places are available in settings that are Ofsted registered and are on the local authority register of eligible providers.

Funded places for three and four year olds - 30 hours

Some three and four year olds may be eligible for an additional 15 hours - a 30 hours place. The funding is to support working parents. Take a look at Childcare Choices for more details about the criteria and application process. We have put together some 'things to remember' when going through and following the application process.

Please be aware that you will not be charged for the funded hours, but any additional time or services (food, trips) that your child receives may be charged for.

Help with childcare costs

Information about other types of help with childcare costs is available on the Childcare Choices website where you will also find a childcare calculator to estimate what you might be entitled to.

Check what help you could get with childcare costs using the Childcare Calculator.

Useful information

A guide to choosing quality childcare.

Using after school clubs, tuition and community activities - a parent and carer’s guide on the safeguarding arrangements you should expect from activity clubs, tutors and coaches.

Information on how to raise an issue regarding childcare 

How to contact us

The Families Information Service main helpline is 01204 332170, or you can email us at, or ask at any Start Well Family Hub in Bolton.

Search for services for children, young people and families on My Life in Bolton.

We're also on Facebook and Twitter so follow us now for our latest updates.

Extra help

Please let us know if you can’t find the childcare that you are looking for by either completing our online form or emailing, with details of the area that you are looking for and the age of your child/children. If you want to talk through your personal circumstances, please ring our helpline on 01204 332170.

Additional support can be offered to families of disabled children and young people to access short break opportunities, eg leisure activities.

Request Support

Parents and carers views

We work with childcare providers to help parents access affordable childcare at the times that they need it. Parents and carers can tell us what they think about childcare in Bolton by completing our short survey.

Start survey