Becoming a childminder means caring for children in your own home and following Statutory Framework of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).

Please also read the following information which will be useful in becoming a childminder:

As a registered childminder, you may be self-employed and therefore responsible for your own tax and national insurance. You will need to comply with HMRC guidance and you have the option of using the services of an accountant.

Marketing your own business will be your responsibility so you may want to find out if there is a need in your area.

Please note, if you live in rented property you will need written agreement from your landlord to run a childminding business from home.

For more information, contact 01204 338149.

Childminding agency

Alternatively, you may wish to become part of a childminding agency that might provide some of these services for you.

Before you can operate as a childminder, you will need to be registered with:

What is involved in applying?

It is important that children are safeguarded at all times. You will need to obtain a DBS check from the Disclosure and Barring Service and complete appropriate local safeguarding board training.

There will be other mandatory training including paediatric first aid and food safety.

If you think childminding is for you, then you will need to complete training which helps you to understand and implement the EYFS.

A number of training courses are available for you to complete before registration, both online and face to face.

Other training providers may offer training courses. You can search online for further details.

Once you are registered, you will receive support from Bolton Local Authority via the Early Years and Childcare Team and Learning and Development Team, or your childminding agency.

Further information can be obtained on the Start Well website and Bolton Council website.