Becoming a childminder means caring for children in your own home and following Statutory Framework of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS).
Please also read the following documents which will be useful in becoming a childminder:
As a registered childminder, you may be self-employed and therefore responsible for your own tax and national insurance. You will need to comply with HMRC guidance and you have the option of using the services of an accountant.
Marketing your own business will be your responsibility so you may want to find out if there is a need in your area.
Please note, if you live in rented property you will need written agreement from your landlord to run a childminding business from home.
For more information, contact Families Information Service on 01204 332170.
Alternatively, you may wish to become part of a childminding agency that might provide some of these services for you.
Before you can operate as a childminder, you will either need to be registered with:
- Ofsted (you will find it useful to look at the Ofsted Pre-registration briefing) or
- A childminding agency – there is only one childminding agency operating in Bolton
What is involved in applying?
There will be other mandatory training including pediatric first aid and food safety.
If you think childminding is for you, then you will need to complete training which helps you to understand and implement the EYFS.
A number of training courses are available for you to complete before registration, both online and face to face.
- Local authority training course inclusive of one home visit (if you live in Bolton)
- Online childminder training from PACEY, the Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years
- St Bede Childminding Agency (only for childminders registering with the Agency)
Other training providers may offer training courses. You can search online for further details.
Once you are registered, you will receive support from Bolton Local Authority via the Early Years and Childcare Team and Workforce Development Team, or from your childminding agency.