To discourage vehicles from parking across the entrance to your driveway or garage, you can apply to have a white line painted on the road called an 'H bar marking' (named because it looks like a stretched letter H).

Request an H bar marking

To be considered for an H bar marking

  • you must already have a dropped kerb accessing a driveway or garage
  • there must be no yellow lines already present in the roead
  • H bar markings highlight an access point. They do not indicate a reserved parking space
  • you are responsible for the full cost of the application


The cost is £120 for a marking up to six metres in length and £150 for a marking over six metres..

To make an application please contact us.


Contacting us

Our staff are often out of the office and unable to take calls.

The best way to contact us for all Highways enquiries, is to complete this form and we will get back to you as soon as we can.