Why we use CCTV
CCTV is installed to help prevent crime, control traffic and protect you.
The code of practice
It aims to ensure that any systems are solely used to provide you with a safer environment. It also helps protect your interests by ensuring that any images or information we gather are monitored, stored and processed strictly in accordance with the Act.
It gives you rights in relation to the processing of personal data. You have:
- the right to be provided, in appropriate cases, with a copy of the personal information (images) we hold
- the right to prevent processing which is likely to cause you damage or distress
- rights in relation to automatic decision making
- the right to seek compensation for damage or distress caused by our actions if they are against the code of practice
What can you expect from us?
- ensure that cameras are located to capture images relating directly to the purpose of the scheme
- ensure there is clear signage indicating areas which are covered by cameras and the reason why
- keep recordings for one month - then they will be destroyed
- allow access to third parties only in limited circumstances which must relate directly to the stated purpose of the scheme
How to access information gathered on CCTV
You have a right to access recordings which may involve personal images and may cause damage or distress, or incidents involving your personal property.
You must apply in writing, or at our One Stop Shop reception.