Alternatives to a bulky collection
Before you ask us to collect an unwanted item, can you dispose of it another way?
- If it is in good condition
- Recycle it by giving it to someone who could use it
- Sell it on sites such as Gumtree, Ebay or social media and make yourself some extra money
- Could it be up-cycled? Give items a new lease of life by re-styling them or changing their purpose
- Donate the item to a local charity scheme such as Bolton Community Transport Furniture Services or Emmaus
- Take it to your nearest recycling centre
(See https://recycleforgreatermanchester.com for further details and opening times)
Can you return your electrical and electronic equipment to the retailer for free? Under the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) regulations retailers must provide a way for customers to dispose of their old household electrical and electronic equipment when they sell a new version of the same item.
If you have many items to remove consider using a reputable local skip company. Skip and Bin are a handy price comparison website for residents or businesses looking to hire a skip at their property.
Please remember that any organisations or individuals who collect your waste must be licensed to do so. We suggest you ask to see the licence of anyone you are hiring as you could be held responsible for any of your waste that is illegaly dumped. You can do a quick check of licence details at the Environment Agency's register of waste carriers, brokers and dealers website.