Visitors of all ages are invited to a fortnight of special events to celebrate Bolton’s love of libraries.
National Libraries Week runs from October 5 to 12, but as Bolton has so much to shout about the festivities have been extended until October 19.
The “We Love Bolton Libraries” celebrations will see a bumper schedule of free activities held at Bolton Central Library, starting this weekend.
Whether you’re searching for your next big read, looking for business advice or want to find out more about eBooks then there’s sure to be something for you:
- Saturday October 5, 1.30pm to 3.30pm: Brilliant book recommendations. Also, a poetry performance with “That Poetry Bloke” Craig Bradley.
- Sunday October 6, 1pm to 3pm: Great Big Family Book Quiz, bring all the family and test your knowledge of books from past and present.
- Monday October 7, 2.30pm to 4.30pm: Join us at our eLibrary surgery to discover more about the free eBooks, eAudiobooks and eMagazines available with your library card, all welcome, bring your device to get signed up straight away.
- Monday October 7, 6pm to 7pm: New “Read to your Bump” session. Come along to our free interactive workshop to find out more about the benefits of reading to your little one, even before they’ve arrived. Pick up some top tips, make a simple black-and-white book and receive a free board book.
- Thursday October 10, 6pm: Children’s bedtime stories. Wear your PJs, bring your teddy and enjoy hot chocolate and treats.
- Friday October 11, 9am to 1pm: Start-up Day 2019. We're joining together with the Greater Manchester Ask About Business library network and the British Library for Start-up Day 2019. Across the region there will be a day of free talks, expert workshops and tailored advice to get your business idea off to a flying start.
- Saturday October 12, 1pm to 3pm: Storytelling spectacular. Storytellers Simon Sullivan and Richard O’Neill will weave their magical stories around our library spaces.
- Sunday October 13: A visit by Canine Concern who have a ‘Read to Dogs Programme,’ to help children improve their reading. Book on Eventbrite.
- Wednesday October 16, 1pm: An afternoon with crime writer Marnie Riches. Join us for a live discussion about her exciting new crime novel, Tightrope.
- Saturday October 19, 11am to 3pm: Super Saturday finale. Join us for free family fun.
Bolton Council’s Deputy Leader, Cllr Martyn Cox, said:
“National Libraries Week is a UK-wide celebration of local libraries and the many valuable services they provide in our communities.
“But here in Bolton, we couldn’t possibly contain our love of libraries to just seven days which is why we’ve planned an entire fortnight of activities for residents of all ages.
“In fact, libraries across the borough host a range of events and classes all year round whether you want to learn new skills, find a new hobby or meet new people.”
For more information, visit boltonlams.co.uk or contact Ask Bolton Libraries on 01204 332853 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.