Residents in Bolton can join together to create an innovative group-buying scheme for solar panels on their homes.
‘Solar Together Greater Manchester’ will help Bolton homeowners feel confident that they are paying the right price for a high quality installation from a vetted installer which will boost local renewable energy generation.
The new regional initiative follows three highly successful schemes which ran across the country last year.
More than 1,650 installations were made and an estimated 35,000 tonnes of carbon emissions were avoided.
Bolton and the nine other Greater Manchester local authorities have partnered with the Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA), and the group-buying specialist, iChoosr Ltd to bring this opportunity to Greater Manchester’s homeowners.
Executive Cabinet Member for Strategic Housing, Cllr Toby Hewitt, said: “As part of our commitment to reduce carbon emissions, we are promoting this innovative scheme which will collectively deliver more local renewable energy and reduce carbon emissions.
“It’s a great opportunity for our residents to install solar PV panels at a competitive price.”
Greater Manchester Green City-region lead, Councillor Andrew Western, added: “We want Greater Manchester to be the UK’s leading green city region and by working together with local councils, businesses and residents, we can take action to achieve our ambition to reduce carbon emissions.
“This scheme will contribute to Greater Manchester’s aim to become a carbon neutral city region by 2038.”
Marie-Louise Abretti, iChoosr UK Solar Manager, said: “Solar Together Greater Manchester reaches out to the thousands of households interested in reducing their environmental impact by exploring solar energy but would welcome a helping hand on their journey to making an informed decision.”
Registrations have now opened for ‘Solar Together Greater Manchester’.
It is free to register online and there is no obligation to install panels.
How does it work?
- Householders can register online to become part of the group for free and without obligation.
- Pre-vetted UK solar PV suppliers participate in an auction on 22 October.
- They are able to offer compelling pricing as the volume and geographic concentration will make it possible for them to realise greater efficiencies, which they pass on with lower for installations.
- After the auction, registered households will receive a personal recommendation, which is specific to the details they submitted in their registration.
- If they choose to accept their recommendation, the specifics of their installation will be confirmed with a technical survey after which a date can be set for the installation of their solar PV system.
Telephone and email helpdesks are on-hand throughout the whole process and information sessions will allow households to make an informed decision in a safe and hassle-free environment.