Published: Wednesday, 19th Aug 2026

Bolton Council is reminding local businesses not to sell disposable barbeques after the government temporarily banned them to protect homes and countryside.

Months of drought and dry weather has left countryside like a tinderbox, with firefighters welcoming the ban after serious wildfires around the country.

According to government guidelines, disposable barbecues pose a significant risk to the public and the environment and "cannot be considered a safe product" in the current conditions.

As a result, says the guidance, they "must not be made available for sale either in store or online at the current time" in Great Britain.

The ban applies to England, Scotland and Wales, but not Northern Ireland.

It comes after moorland around Greater Manchester has been plagued by wildfires all summer, with firefighters battling blazes lasting for weeks.

A major incident was declared after a wildfire at Dove Stone Reservoir on Saddleworth Moor burned for almost three weeks.

Although Bolton has been comparatively lucky so far this year, The Wildlife Trust for Lancashire, Manchester and North Merseyside said recently that land around Winter Hill is still recovering from devastating fires eight years ago.

Parts of the country have gone 60 days with no measurable rain and even the often-damp Northwest is far drier than normal.

To make matters worse, five heat waves have brought unusually high temperatures that have turned grass brown and left vegetation dry and scorched.

Bolton Council’s Executive Member for Climate Change and Environmental Services, Cllr Rob Morrisey, said:

“With the danger and devastation of wildfires so high this year, it’s vital that shops act responsibly and remove disposable barbeques from sale.

“Experts are clear that climate change is making the likelihood of extreme weather more common and we must all do our part if we are to protect the countryside we all love.

“Fortunately, retailers have responded well to the government’s instructions and I’m confident that in Bolton they will follow the guidance.”

The government says it will keep the ban under review and withdraw it once changes in the weather make wildfires less likely.

Retailers can find further information on the British Retail Consortium website