If you're unhappy with our services, please tell us and we'll do our best to look at your concerns and provide an explanation. 

Children’s or Adult Social Care Services

You can:

We aim to resolve complaints quickly and informally where possible.


If you have a concern about schools, please:

  • contact the school directly, you should be able to download a copy of the procedure from the school's website.
  • if you wish to make a complaint about a child being bullied at school, please contact the head teacher at the school concerned.  For further advice about bullying at school and the law, please visit GOV.UK

Complaints procedures and policy

To find out more about complaints procedures and policies, please visit the links below:

Your confidentiality and consent

All information received from you will be treated in strict confidence and will not be shared with any third party without the consent of the service user, with the exception of becoming aware of a safeguarding concern.

We can only provide a response to the complainant with the consent of the service user, their next of kin or person deemed to have sufficient interest.