Bolton Council is proud of its reputation for providing the best quality support for their foster carers.
Here are just a few good reasons why fostering with Bolton should be your first choice.
- Local authorities place ‘in house’ first, so you are unlikely to have an empty bed for long. We pride ourselves on finding the best match to suit your family.
- Our looked after children in Bolton generally attend local schools, so you don’t have to travel far for school runs, appointments, family contact etc.
- You’ll have a dedicated personal supervising social worker who will visit you regularly, and your foster child/children will have their own social worker too. There is also a social worker ‘on duty’ in the office every day – so you’re always supported and never on your own.
- We provide a full ongoing training programme long after you become approved, and are committed to your personal development, so you are always learning new skills to help in your foster carer role.
- All training courses and support groups meet in the Bolton area.
- Training courses include contact and working with birth families, communication, listening and attachment, promoting health and education, managing behaviour, placement endings and moving on, and valuing diversity.
- You will be be linked with an experienced ‘buddy’ foster carer for ongoing support when you are newly approved, so you’ll have someone to talk to outside of the social work network when you need to.
- You will also have access to a detailed carers’ toolkit which will have everything you need to know.
- We hold a variety of regular support groups and social activities for carers, their birth children and foster children. These combine fun and leisure activities with opportunities to speak out about any concerns or share experiences
- You will receive regular newsletters and information.
- Bolton Council is a ‘not for profit’ organisation, so the primary importance is finding the best placement for the child or young person.
- You’ll receive a regular allowance, depending on the age of the child, as well as other payments to meet the child’s needs.
- We can help provide any equipment you need if you don’t have it already such as bedroom furniture, car seats, stair gates etc.
- You will have access to an independent ‘Advice and Mediation’ worker from The Fostering Network.
- Free leisure centre access for families of Looked After Children via the Corporate Parenting Leisure Scheme.
- You will receive a My Max card which gives discounts on theme parks and attractions for foster families.
You are never on your own, and will be part of a wider team of professionals who work together to improve the life chances and quality of life of our foster children.
Complete the enquiry form for an information pack