The table below details who you need to report different flooding issues to.

Flooding caused by Who to notify
Public sewer / burst water mains United Utilities
Private sewer or drain Homeowner / Landowner
Water service or internal pipe Homeowner or landlord (a plumber)
River Environment Agency
Flooded road or roadside ditch including
overflowing manhole, drain or grid on the road or pavement
Bolton Council

What happens next

For issues reported to us, we will make an inspection within 5 working days.  If there is an immediate risk to safety we will inspect within 2 hours.  You will be given a case reference number for the report.

If you think there is an immediate risk to safety please call us:

Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm - 01204 336600
At any other time - 01204 336900

Section 19 Flood Investigations

As a Lead Local Flood Authority (LLFA), one of our duties under the Flood and Water Management Act 2010 is to investigate significant flood events and make our findings public.

In line with policy, we define a significant flood as one where either 5 or more residential buildings or 2 or more commercial properties were affected.

Our completed flood investigation reports can be downloaded on the right of this page.