If you are proposing to undertake works near or in a main river you will need to contact the Environment Agency beforehand. In all other locations, you need to contact us for consent.

You will need written consent from us to:

  • construct a culvert
  • alter a culverted watercourse
  • construct or alter any feature that could cause an obstruction to the flow of water in an ordinary watercourse.

For preliminary discussions regarding proposed works complete the enquiry form.

Initial enquiries and advice on works near watercourses are free, if applying for consent there is a fixed fee of £50.

Reporting a problem

If you are concerned about work being undertaken within or adjacent to an ordinary watercourse, please contact us for advice.

Report it now

We are responsible for enforcement action regarding ordinary watercourses when unlawful actions or works have been undertaken without consent, or are in contravention to an issued consent.