What if I'm not satisfied with the response?

If you want to make a complaint about any exemptions applied to your request, or about how we handled your request, you should first contact:

The Monitoring Officer
Bolton Council
Chief Executive's Department
Town Hall

The Monitoring Officer will acknowledge your complaint, consider it objectively and then give you her decision.

If you are not satisfied with the response from the Monitoring Officer, you may then contact:

Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Cheshire SK9 5AF

Tel: 01625 545700
Fax: 01625 524510

Please note that we reserve the right to publish a copy of the information we give you under FOI on our website or by any other means.