A Personal Adviser

Following changes introduced through the Children & Social Work Act 2017, you will be able to ask to have support from your personal adviser up to the age of 25 whether you are in education or training or not. This is to try to make sure care leavers receive similar support to young adults who live with their families.

Your personal adviser is there to help you to prepare to live independently and to offer advice and support after you leave care. Personal advisers get involved in discussions about your needs and your pathway plan.

Your pathway plan is written by the local authority after consultation with you and important people in your life. It sets out your needs, views and future goals, and exactly what support you will receive from us. We review your pathway plan with you regularly so that it is kept up-to-date.

We will try to let you keep the same personal adviser, though this will not always be possible. The amount of support that you receive from your Personal Adviser will depend on what you want and your circumstances. 

Your leaving care team will consider with you what extra support you may need. You might, for example, need extra support because:

  • you have special educational needs or a disability
  • you are an unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Child (UASC) and your immigration status is unclear
  • you are in or leaving custody or you have had contact with the criminal justice system
  • you are a young parent; or
  • you are going through a difficult time in your personal life