Unoccupied property relief
You will not be charged for the first three months that a property is empty.
This is extended to six months in the case of certain industrial properties.
Some unoccupied properties may be exempt from a charge, they are:
- properties with a rateable value less than £2,900, effective from 1st April 2017
- not allowed to be used by law
- vacant due to action taken on behalf of the Crown
- listed building subject to building preservation notice
- ancient monuments included in schedule compiled under Ancient Monuments & Archaeological Areas Act 1979(b)
- owner entitled to possession only in his capacity as personal representative of a deceased person
- a bankruptcy order subsists in respect of the owner’s estate
- owner entitled to possession as trustee under deed of arrangement
- owner is a company subject to winding up order under the Insolvency Act 1986 or being wound up voluntarily under that act
- owner in administration or subject to an administration order
- owner entitled to possession in their capacity as liquidator
If you think you are entitled to the relief, please contact us.