What do we do?

  • the service works with parents and carers in partnership
  • we provide advice and support, including GCSE's, resources etc.
  • we offer opportunities to meet other home educators through arranged events

The law

The responsibility for a child’s education rests with the parents or carers. 

In England, education is a child's right and the parent or carer must ensure that this happens between the ages of 5-17.

This can take place at 'school' or 'otherwise'.

What should I do if I wish to home educate?

If you are taking your child out of school and he/she is of statutory school age, you must write to your child’s school stating that you wish to educate your child at home.

The school will inform the Achievement Cohesion and Integration Service (ACIS) that you have chosen to be responsible for the education of your child at home and you will be contacted within four weeks. However; if you have not heard from ACIS, please contact them.  The school will no longer be responsible for your child's education. 

I have de-registered my child - what happens next?

ACIS will contact you and offer you a home visit or a meeting to offer advice and support in developing the educational programme for your child/children.


When you as the parent or carer decide to home educate you assume full financial responsibility for the education of your child.