Register to vote

You can only vote in elections if your name is on the Register of Electors and new legislation means you must bring voter ID.

You can vote if you're:

  • 18 or over
  • a British, Commonwealth, Irish and other EU citizen
  • a member of HM Forces or their husband or wife
  • a crown servant employed outside the UK

Please note:

  • European citizens can’t vote in general elections
  • Overseas electors can’t vote in local elections

You’ll need to register if you:

  • are coming up to 18
  • have moved address
  • aren't already registered

Find out more about how to vote, or elections and voting via GOV.UK.

Register to vote