You can only vote in elections if your name is on the Register of Electors and new legislation means you must bring voter ID.
The following is a British Sign Language (BSL) video translation on the necessary steps to register to vote.
The following people are allowed to vote:
- if you are eighteen years or over
- all British, Commonwealth, Irish and other European Union citizens
- overseas electors
- members of HM Forces and their spouses
- crown servants employed outside the United Kingdom
- European citizens are allowed to vote in European and Local Elections only
- overseas electors are allowed to vote in Parliamentary and European Elections only.
The deadline to register to vote in the elections to be held on 4 May 2023 is midnight on Monday 17 April 2023.
The electoral register and the 'open register'
There are 2 versions of the electoral register - the full version and the 'open register'.
You can opt out of the open register. This is the version of the register that’s available to anyone who wants to buy a copy.