Our Trading Standards team are at the front line of consumer and business protection. We deal with issues which affect everyone such as:
- falsely described or counterfeit goods
- under age sales
- loan sharks
- misleading prices
- uninvited doorstep sellers
It can be an offence to carry out trading practice that is unfair and affects the decision of a consumer. This includes misleading or aggressive actions.
We are committed to working with business to:
- help them understand and comply with regulations and reduce unnecessary red tape where possible
- ensure they compete with one another on level terms
If you require more detailed information about your obligations please contact us.
Cold calling and doorstep sales
We strongly advise residents to be cautious when a trader cold calls and not to sign up to anything there and then. The doorstep is not the place to make such decisions. If interested, you can ask for details to be left and then carry out your own research.
Other useful tips and advice:
- ignore any sales pressure to make an immediate decision
- always check out claims. Some traders have been known to increase their own prices and then apply their own discounts, but describe it as a 'grant'
- if a trader fails to leave after being asked to do so, then this could also be an offence
- it could be an offence if a trader makes misleading claims about being linked to the Council or other official body
- it is a criminal offence to mislead consumers or to use aggressive sales tactics
If you have any questions, feel you have been misled, or to report any instances of unfair, illegal or aggressive trading please contact Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06 or visit their website.