How to report nuisance smoke and smells

Typical complaints include:

  • garden bonfires
  • smoking chimneys
  • dust from construction and demolition activity
  • cooking smells from restaurants

To report an issue please complete and return a nuisance pack.

Please follow the instructions carefully. Your complaint will not be considered unless you complete and return the diary contained in the pack.

What happens next?

We will review the information you provide to see if there is likely to be a statutory nuisance and whether it is appropriate for us to investigate your complaint.

Statutory nuisance can include emissions of smoke, fumes or gases, dust, steam and smell. The emissions must arise from a property and must significantly affect the use or enjoyment of other property.

If we decide that a complaint of statutory nuisance is justified, an abatement notice will be served upon the person responsible, occupier or owner of the premises (as appropriate) requesting that the nuisance is stopped.

If they do not comply legal proceedings may start.

Find out more about abatement notices.