We are a film friendly authority with some great locations for all types of productions. We have recently facilitated the filming of scenes from Peaky Blinders, Wolfe, The Ipcress File, Ridley Road, Cobra, The Stranger, Traces, Cold Feet, Years and Years, It's a Sin, Brassic, Top Gear and Alma's Not Normal.  Previously we have been involved with Coronation Street, Bancroft and Last Tango in Halifax to name but a few and we have also seen Sylvestor Stallone running up our town hall steps. 

You will recognise some of our iconic architecture, outstanding countryside and green spaces but we also have fabulous internal spaces such as court rooms, cells, former retail units and office space to offer as filming locations.  We also have centrally located spaces which can be used as a unit base.  We can arrange to attend recces and tech recces, work with location managers and other key production team members to ensure they have all the information about the location to hand. 

So whether you need locations for productions, commercials, permission to use Council land for small scale filming, or are just looking for GV's, Voxpops, Library or Museum items (for filming purposes only), student filming or corporate promotions please enquire as below. 

As a minimum we require a copy of your public liability insurance and RAMS (to be Covid secure) before any filming will be granted permission.

Whilst we are very film friendly, we are also a very small team and it can take in the region of 10 working days to reply to a filming request.  The lead-in time is much longer for the closing of roads or if your filming requires usage of a Drone.  Further details on these specific items can be found below. You must ensure you have permission to film before setting your filming date(s). 

Enquire about filming in Bolton

For news broadcasts whether pre-recorded or live OB's, please enquire via pressoffice@bolton.gov.uk or visit our news media page.


Road Closures for Filming

If you are seeking to close a road then this requires a minimum of 6-8 weeks lead in time.  In some circumstances it can be upto 12 weeks.  You will need to apply for a Traffic Regulation Order from the Councils Highways Department.  Recces with Bolton Council must take place before any Temporary Traffic Regulation Order is applied for.  The details can be found here - https://www.bolton.gov.uk/roads-pavements/road-closures-restrictions

Usage of Drones for Filming

Bolton Council does not have its own policy on the usage of Drones for any purpose.  The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) is responsible for the airspace and as such all regulations and guidance can be found at https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned-aircraft-and-drones/ and https://register-drones.caa.co.uk/ and its important to note that regulations changed at the start of this year.

However should you require to use a Drone for the purposes of TV/Movie or Corporate filming on Bolton Council land then you must engage with Bolton Council as follows.

Advanced planning and liaison must take place with the CAA, Bolton Council and any other stakeholders.   All documentation to be submitted to us no later than 7 working days before the filming day.  Such documentation would include but is not limited to - Proof of CAA approval to use the airspace (if applicable), Take-off and landing zone plans (if Council land), flight paths, people management and traffic management plans, copy of the drone pilots certification, insurance and reference details of the drone to be used on the day and RAMS.  Charges also apply.

If you are looking to use a Drone to carry out a site survey to assess building works for example, this is dealt with separately to this filming facilitation service and the contact email is - CPShelpdesk@bolton.gov.uk

We cannot offer advice on the flying of Drones for purposes which are not in relation to TV/Movie or Corporate filming and would advise contacting the CAA as above.

Rivington area

If you are looking to film in the Rivington area, the pike or gardens, unfortunately these locations are not in Bolton.  Your liaison would need to be with Chorley Council - http://www.chorley.gov.uk or United utilities https://www.unitedutilities.com/corporate/newsroom/contact-the-press-office/film-locations/