What is Telecare?
Telecare is home equipment that helps to give a person a better quality of life by improving their confidence and maintaining their independence at home.
It can be installed on a short term basis e.g. to assist with early discharges from hospital, or on a long term basis to help people live at home for as long as possible.
What does it do?
Each piece of equipment has a sensor that is remotely connected to the base unit and works by sending a radio wave signal. If a sensor detects a potential accident such as a fall or a bed sensor it alerts the community alarm provider or carer.
Types of home equipment include:
- bed chair sensor
- epilepsy sensor
- fall detector
- movement detector
- personal reassurance alarm
- property exit sensor
- smoke detector
- temperature extremes sensor
Where can I find the equipment?
AskSARA is an online self-help guide providing expert advice and information on products and equipment for older and disabled people. It will produce a free personalised report providing:
- clear, tailored advice, written by experts, on ways to help with daily activities and staying independent in your home
- a list of products and equipment, specific to your needs, with information on where to get them
- further help and contacts for more information
- an option to save your report and share it with family, friends and care workers
Requesting an assessment
If you would like to arrange an assessment by the Telecare service, please contact the Telecare team between 8:45am and 5:00pm, Monday to Friday on 01204 337815 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.