Support for the most vulnerable
1. Bolton's Humanitarian Response
We have a helpline to access support by calling 01204 337221
Our opening times are:
- Monday to Friday from 8.30am – 5.30pm
- Saturdays from 9am – 1pm
If you have hearing or speech difficulties please visit www.relayuk.bt.com to use the free service to talk to us.
Call the helpline if you do not have a network of family and friends you can call upon for support.
The Team Bolton community of volunteers, partners and council staff are offering vital help to people who need support, including food and essential items such as medication, particularly if:
• you’ve received a letter from the NHS advising you’re high risk and should stay at home
• you’re medically vulnerable according to the government criteria and should stay at home
• you’re any age and self-isolating due to illness
• you’re experiencing financial hardship
• you’re experiencing food poverty
Our call handlers will provide advice and tell you how you can access practical support.
This includes local support for those who are feeling isolated and alone.
The best thing to do is call us. If you can’t then please use our access coronavirus support online form.
We’re also providing regular updates on the latest government advice, local service information and that to do if you think you have coronavirus.
If your charity or volunteer group would like to participate in the coronavirus response, please contact Bolton CVS at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01204 546055
If you have friends or relatives in other areas of Greater Manchester and can no longer support them then these are the emergency numbers to contact for the other councils in the area.
2. Living with people at higher risk
People over 70 and those with certain underlying health conditions are urged to be particularly stringent when following social distancing guidelines.
Public Health England has issued new advice for people living with someone who is in this higher risk category.
This includes guidance for maintaining 2-meter distancing within the home where possible, how to minimise time spent in shared spaces and steps to ensure shared facilities are kept clean.
3. Keep yourself and your family safe from domestic abuse
Home should be a place of safety, but measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19) mean that victims and those at risk of domestic abuse may be trapped at home with abusive partners or family members.
Their children will also be affected.
Social isolation is important, but your safety is a priority.
Our domestic abuse services remain open and available for specialist help, support and advice:
- Fortalice: email@example.com or on our live chat via www.fortalice.org.uk / Tel: 01204 356 677 (24 hours)
- Endeavour: firstname.lastname@example.org / www.endeavourproject.org.uk / Tel: 01204 394842 (Office hours)
You can also ring the free 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline - 0808 2000 247
4. Children and young people at risk
Children and young people are now spending significantly more time at home, potentially placing them at increased risk of harm.
If a child is experiencing abuse, there aren't as many opportunities for others to spot the signs, or for them to access support, in turn increasing their vulnerability.
If you have concerns regarding child exploitation, please get in touch using our online reporting services, call 101 or via LiveChat.
If you or someone you know is in immediate danger, dial 999. Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
If you’re concerned that a young person is at risk but don’t want to go directly to the police, you can call the @NSPCC Helpline on 0808 8005000, and ChildLine is available to young people 24/7 on 0800 1111.
- We have revised access to Housing Options Services.
- For more information see our Preventing Homelessness page.
6. Independent Living Service
7. Blue badge scheme
All Penalty Charge Notices for Blue Badge holders with an expiry date of 1 January 2020 onwards have been suspended until 30 September 2020. This update comes from the Department for Transport in line with new UK Government recommendations.