Coronavirus (COVID-19) update and advice

The Register Office has had to introduce emergency measures to prioritise services at this time.

Find out more

Current arrangments until further notice

Ceremonies in the Albert Halls are now able to take place, however due to the size of the room and in accordance to guidelines issued by the government a number of alterations have unfortunately had to be made to the ceremony, there will be no waiting facilities in the building, only the couple and a maximum of 4 guests (from 12th April this will increase to 10 guests) may attend the ceremony (photographers/videographers will be included in this number) and appropriate social distancing must be adhered to. The wedding party will only be given access to the building at the allocated time, please do not arrive early and unfortunately if you arrive late you will be required to re-book the ceremony.

Please note that due restrictions within the building, toilets will not be available for use by the wedding party.

From 12th April 2021 ceremonies at approved premises will be allowed to take place in licensed venues that are not expressly required to close under the Covid 19 Regulations. The maximum number of people allowed to attend the ceremony will be limited to 15 people (including the couple), however before Registrars attend any venue, we will need assurance from the venue that they have completed a risk assessment and that they are Covid secure.

The only ceremony available at this time is a standard ceremony, no enhancements will be available e.g. readings, music, being given away etc.

Please be assured that everyone in the registration service is doing their very best to keep couples informed on how government advice impacts on their booking.

To get married you'll need to give notice. This is a legal document which details:

  • the two people getting married or registering a civil partnership
  • the venue where the ceremony will take place

How do I give notice?

Book an appointment

Alternatively you can call us to book on 01204 331185.

Both parties must attend an appointment, although you can attend separately if this is more convenient.

Also you must have lived in the Bolton Council area for a minimum of 8 consecutive days where notice is to be given.

Notice cannot be given on your behalf by your spouse or a friend.

If you don’t live in Bolton, but wish to get married or register a civil partnership in Bolton, you must give notice to the local authority for the area you live in instead.

If you are under 18 you should contact us in advance of your notice regarding consents to the marriage or civil partnership.

If you are non EU citizens you will need to contact either Manchester or Blackburn Register Office.

What do I need?

Original Proof of your name, age, address and nationality. Photocopies are not accepted.

If you use a birth certificate rather than a valid passport as ID, you will also need to provide another form of ID such as a photo driving / provisional licence or a medical card. If you were born after 1983 we will also need to see a copy of your mother's birth certificate as proof of nationality.

What happens next?

28 days after you’ve both given notice, if there are no objections, you’ll be given a document giving you the authority to get married or form a civil partnership and organise a ceremony.

There is also a referral scheme in place, where all non EEA nationals without settled status, a marriage or civil partnership visa, or evidence of immigration status, will be referred to the Home Office. If you fall within this scheme you may have the waiting period extended from 28 to 70 days.

A notice of marriage or civil partnership is valid for 12 months from the date on which it was given.