- 22 May 2020
Due to the outbreak of the coronavirus and to support the trade we agreed interim steps to extend licences upon request. This was shared with you at the end of March. Since then we’ve been developing online application forms to enable licence holders to renew their licence.
From 3 June 2020 both private hire and hackney carriage vehicle licence holders will be able to submit an online application to renew their vehicle licence.
The form doesn’t go live until 3 June, but additional information and guidance is already available on our website at https://www.bolton.gov.uk/taxi-private-hire.
What will you need to do?
- A vehicle will need to pass a recent MOT and a private hire/hackney carriage vehicle examination
- The vehicle examination must be completed by one of our approved testing stations before an online renewal application can be submitted
- Testing stations contact details are available on our website at https://www.bolton.gov.uk/downloads/file/2640/hackney-carriage-and-private-hire-test-testing-stations
- Vehicle licence holders are required to attach a copy of their current vehicle insurance to the online form
- The application will be rejected if the insurance is not attached
- Once the online form has been submitted vehicle licence holders will need to call 01204 336584 (option 1) to make the renewal payment
- Licence holders are required to quote the online form reference number which starts with a ‘VL’ when making the telephone payment
- The reference number is provided at the end of the online process and is also included on the acknowledgement email sent to the email address provided on the online form
- Online applications will not be processed and are not valid until the payment has been received
- Payment must be made within 3 working days of the application being submitted (we’re working on an online payment system and hope to launch this later this year)
Once the vehicle licence has been granted you will receive an email with a PDF licence and fare card. These will need to be printed. A copy of the licence will be shared with the nominated private hire operator.
The vehicle livery (plates and internal stickers) will be sent in the post. The current livery will need to remain on the vehicle until the new livery have been received. You must be able to provide a copy of your valid current licence to a police officer or authorised officer of the council.
We’re progressing with the online application form for driver renewals and hope to launch this in the next few weeks. In the meantime the current licence extension process will remain in place.
A reminder of the online arrangements outlined in our previous communications:
- Replacements/duplicates - the individual licence holder is required to email the licensing team with their request.
- Fare cards for change of operator – the new farecard form which was sent to the private hire operator, needs to be completed by the operator and emailed back to the licensing team. The new farecard will then be emailed to the operator for them to print.
- Any complaints against drivers, vehicle owners or operators will be dealt with by an enforcement officer by email or phone.
- All business is still being conducted by phone and email if you have any questions or queries please email email@example.com.
Please could you circulate this communication to all members/licence holders operating via you licence. We would like to take this opportunity again to thank you for your patience during this difficult time and hope you are all staying safe and well.