- 8 September 2020
Please can you share the following updates and information with drivers and vehicle owners you represent or that operate under your operator licence:
Licence extensions and renewals
All drivers and vehicle owners that benefited from a licence extension issued to cover the period we were closed due to covid19 (23 March 2020 to 30 June 2020) now need to submit an application to renew their extended licence.
If the application to renew the licence is submitted near to the expiry date, which is the 30 September, we will not be able to process the application before it expires.
We’re currently dealing with both the normal licence renewals and the licence extensions and demand is high.
We really want to be able to support the trade by processing the applications as quickly as possible. Delays in submitting the application to renew the extended licence will mean the licence will not be issued before the expiry date.
The same request is made to anyone who’s licence is due to expire in the next few months. Please submit your application as soon as possible. This will enable us to process the application or highlight any problems before it expires. Online application can be submitted as follows:
- Driver renewals can be submitted 12 weeks before the expiry date
- Vehicles renewals can be 8 weeks before the expiry date
Most driver badges now display the expiry date of the DBS and medical. This is to enable you to obtain the necessary supporting documentation to support the application. Guidance on the requirements are available at https://www.bolton.gov.uk/taxi-private-hire.
The public registers can assist in confirming if a licence is current and they can be viewed by visiting https://www.bolton.gov.uk/taxi-private-hire
The online application forms have been available for several weeks. We’ve made some tweaks as challenges have arisen. The current format is a temporary solution in light of covid-19.
At the beginning of 2021 we hope to launch a fully functioning online application form. This will include the ability to make payment online and attach supporting information and documentation to the form.
In the meantime if you’ve any comments or suggestions on the current process or the future development then please email them to the email@example.com.
The original guidance was shared with you on 15 July 2020.
As a result of continued restrictions in Bolton, public health care professionals strongly advise to protect both passengers and drivers as follows:
- Operators via their booking staff, are asked to strongly encourage travelling customers to wear a face covering when traveling in a private hire or hackney carriage vehicle
- Drivers are also strongly encouraged to wear face coverings when working and follow the cleaning guidance outline in the original communication and links
A press release has been circulated to support this position and will be shared separately.
- The consultation on the clean air plan (CAP) and common minimum licensing standards (MLS) will start in October. We’ll contact you again nearer the date to share how you can get involved
- The Department of Transport has published their guidance document . A copy of the document is available to view at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/statutory-taxi-and-private-hire-vehicle-standards. We’ll be considering the implications of this in Bolton with the MLS in the Autumn.
- Face to face business - the licensing team remains closed for face to face business. All business is still being conduction online
- Help and assistance - all communications, guidance and information is available on our website. See the hackney carriage and private hire pages which can be accessed at https://www.bolton.gov.uk/taxi-private-hire or email the licensing team at firstname.lastname@example.org