A man sat comfortably reading the paper

Find out more about...

Supported Housing

Supported Housing is available to particular groups of people who need some assistance to live independently.

Short term accommodation and support

Short term accommodation and support is available to those who need it, for example, people who find themselves homeless, or those fleeing domestic violence.

For more information contact Housing Advice on 01204 335900 or Homeless Welfare on 01204 335830 (or link to website pages)

Long term accommodation and support

Long term accommodation and support is also available to those with more significant health and care/support needs. For example, people with physical and learning disabilities or significant mental health problems.

For more information contact one stop shop (01204 333333) or your care manager.

Older Peoples, Sheltered and Extra Care Housing

Sheltered housing is designed to help older people to live independently, with a little extra support.

These housing schemes are generally aimed at those over 55 or 60 years of age.

In Bolton, the majority of sheltered housing is run by Registered Providers (Housing Associations) for rent, although there are a few properties that are available for sale or shared ownership.

There are two main types of sheltered housing in Bolton: Core and Older Persons.

Key features of Core Sheltered Schemes:

  • A group of properties on one site or under one roof with shared lounges designed for socialising and communal activities.
  • Good accessibility - usually built either on one level or with a lift to upper floors.
  • Staff on site during the week to provide a safe, secure and friendly environment, help customers resolve any problems and provide information, advice and support.

Key features of Older Person’s schemes:

  • Safe and secure environment.
  • Provision of 24 hour community alarm services.

Some Older People’s schemes also have support through:

  • Optional access to support e.g. regular calls and visits. 
  • Intensive housing management services available to provide tenants with the help and support they need to maintain their tenancy.

There are eight registered providers with older peoples’ schemes in Bolton. Access to these is either through Bolton’s Find a Home Choice Based lettings scheme, or direct to the registered housing providers.

For Bolton at Home, Contour, Irwell Valley, Places for People and St Vincents properties:

For Anchor, Guinness and Hanover properties please contact them directly via their websites or contact the individual schemes:

Disabled adapted home

If you or a member of your household finds it difficult to get around your home safely as a result of age or disability, the Council may be able to help you obtain a grant to fund the adaptations you need to remain living independently in your home. Find out more with our disabled adapted home advice notes.

Extra Care Housing

Extra Care Housing is similar to sheltered housing in that properties consist of self contained flats within a block environment with good communal facilities. In addition, the schemes provide care and support on site as well as social activities.  Social activities vary at each scheme, but include luncheon clubs, coffee mornings, parties, exercise classes, gardening groups and bingo. 

The three housing providers of Extra Care Housing schemes in Bolton are:

  • Anchor Trust (five schemes: Astley Bridge, Halliwell, Hulton, and Westhoughton)
  • Bolton at Home (four schemes: Deane, Tonge Moor, and Farnworth)
  • Places for People (one scheme in Harwood – mixed tenure)

More information on the Extra Care Services delivered by Bolton Cares can be found on their website.


Each housing provider has a pets policy which they will explain to you.


Each housing provider will explain their rental and any service charge costs to you.

Click here to download further information on Extra Care Housing.

Extra Care properties which are not allocated through Bolton Council are also advertised in the same way as sheltered housing. Priority will still be given to those with assessed eligible care needs, but individuals with support needs may also be able to access Extra Care Housing.

Services for those who have served in the Armed Forces

If you are leaving the Armed Forces you have the right to help with finding somewhere to live.

Please see our services for those who have served in the Armed Forces advice notes.

Bolton Council

Town Hall

Victoria Square



Telephone 01204 335900
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events