School Meals: Tell us what you think!

If you are a parent of a child in Year 2, Year 3, or Year 5 we would be very grateful if you could spend a small amount of time completing our school meals survey to let us know what you think.

Your views will help us improve the school meal service for you and your child.

Tell us what you think

Am I eligible for free school meals?

You can get free school meals and school clothing allowance if the school is maintained by the council and you receive one of the following:

  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit only with an annual income of less then £16,190
  • Pension Credit - Guarantee Credit
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 
  • Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your earned income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)

Please note -  if your child is eligible for and getting free school meals at any time before 31 March 2022, their award may be protected until this date.

To be eligible for school clothing allowance the child must be in year seven or nine.

All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 in a council maintained school are eligible to have a free school meal. This is called a Universal Free School Meal.

How do I apply?

Make a claim now [Please check special circumstances before applying]

You don't need to make a claim for a free school meals or school clothing allowance if you already receive or have applied for housing benefit or council tax support. We will use the information and evidence you have given us to confirm your entitlement.


  • Payments are issued by cheque and are usually made within 3 weeks of the date we make the award of the school clothing allowance.
  •  If your child is going into year seven or nine in September, you will have received your school clothing allowance by the end of August.

Special circumstances 

  1. Nursery - they must attend a council maintained nursery for a full day. Full day means that they must go in the morning and in the afternoon. This education must be free.
  2. Children aged 16 to 19 -  they must attend one of the following sixth form colleges
  • Kearsley Academy
  • Turton
  • Thornleigh
  • Canon Slade
  • Firwood and Rumworth
  • Rivington and Blackrod
  • Bolton St Catherine's Academy 

Students attending any sixth form are eligible to make a claim. If the sixth form is not listed above you will need to contact the college directly.

What if I'm receiving support under immigration or asylum?

If you are receiving Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 you must contact Achievement Cohesion and Integration Service (ACIS)

Check if you're entitled to housing benefit or council tax support

Benefits calculator

Housing Benefits

Bolton Council

P.O. Box 4



Telephone 01204 331590
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events