Market Place, Bolton

Check if you need building approval

Once you have established that you need approval, the next stage is to fill in the relevant application form. 

The Government announcement to relax planning permission laws for home and business owners to extend their properties does not remove the need for compliance with building regulations.

Application forms are available for download but please check with us if you are not sure which form to use. There are two options when submitting an application for building works - Full plans or a Building notice.  Further information is available on the LABC website. The council encourages applications to be submitted online.

There are also details of the relevant fees available through the advice note links under the downloads tab.

What else should I include?

Depending on which application you submit one or more of the following may need to be included:  

  • A location plan - showing your property and the adjoining properties and roads, with the proposed site highlighted.  The scale must be 1:1250 or 1:12500 and show the direction of North.  If the applicant owns or controls any adjoining land, this must also be highlighted on the plans.  A copy of a 1:1250 scale Ordnance Survey map is ideal for this.
  • A site plan - usually 1:500 or 1:200 scale, showing the proposals in relation to site boundaries and other buildings within the site.  The drawing should show positions of all buildings and highways on land adjoining the application site.  If another building or structure is situated near to part of the proposed extension, please show the position of the window in that house which is nearest to the proposed extension.
  • Elevation drawings - You will also need to supply other drawings showing us exactly what you want to do.  These should usually be to 1:100 or 1:50 scale to show all sides of the proposal.  These drawings should show as fully as possible the proposed building materials, their type, colour and make, if known.  Where a proposed elevation adjoins another building, in a semi-detached or terraced situation, then the adequate part of the adjoining elevation (s) should be shown on the drawing.
  • Floor plans - if your application is for an extension, drawings showing the existing and proposed floor plans of each storey of the building are also required.  These should normally be to 1:100 or 1:50 scale.
  • The fee - You will usually be charged a fee when you make your application.  The amount that you will have to pay will depend on what you want to do. Your application cannot be considered until the correct fee has been paid.  Cheques should be made payable to Bolton Council.

Can I submit the application myself?

Yes, as long as all the above information is clearly provided.  Alternatively you can appoint someone such as an architect or surveyor to be your agent.  They will fill in the forms and prepare the necessary drawings for you.  They will charge you a fee to do this. If your application is straightforward you may be able to do the drawings yourself.  However, they must be clear, accurate and drawn to a metric scale.

 Submit an application online

Building Control Services

Department Of Place

Town Hall

Victoria Square



Telephone 01204 336033
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events