Reporting traffic light faults

Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) controls all traffic signals in Bolton. Their service also covers signalised pedestrian crossings, including Pelican, Puffin and Toucan crossings (not Zebra crossings).

How to report an issue

Report faulty traffic lights

If the problem is dangerous or urgent (such as all signals out of order) please call the control centre on 0845 600 1220

Temporary traffic lights

Temporary traffic signals (at roadworks) are not managed by TfGM. Any faults or problems with them should be reported to the Streetcare helpline on 01204 336600.

Timing of traffic signals

The timing of traffic signals is generally such that it maximises the number of vehicles that can pass through a junction or along a route. Traffic flows do however, change with time and sometimes the lights can become out of sync with the traffic. 
If you think there is an issue with the timing, please contact us using the 'Contacts' tab at the top of this page.

Request a pedestrian crossing

To request a pedestrian crossing you will need to identify a possible site, and then contact us to explain why a crossing is needed at that site. We will assess the need for a new pedestrian crossing, and ensure an effective use of available funding.

If you wish to request pedestrian signals at an existing traffic lights junction, we will investigate the need in a similar way to a new pedestrian crossing request as described above. We will consider each junction individually as the introduction of a pedestrian phase reduces the time available for traffic and at busy junctions can result in long queues of vehicles.

Highways and Engineering

Floor 3

Paderborn House

Howell Croft North



Telephone 01204 336677
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close
Monday 09:00  17:00 
Tuesday 09:00  17:00 
Wednesday 09:00  17:00 
Thursday 09:00  17:00 
Friday 09:00  17:00 

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events