The Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, Schedule 4, requires any individual that sells, exposes or offers for sale any article in a street, to obtain a licence (or consent) from the Local Authority.
Who needs to register as a street trader?
How do I register as a street trader or renew my current consent or licence?
How long does my consent or licence last for?
How much will it cost?
What else will I need to do?
I want to compliment, complain or comment on a street trading consent or licence.
Most streets within the Bolton area are designated ‘consented’ streets for the purpose of street trading. The only exceptions are designated ‘prohibited’ streets – the Middlebrook area, Horwich, Westhoughton, Farnworth and Bolton town centres (the schedule contained in the Street trading - guide document on the Downloads tab contain maps and lists of the prohibited streets within Bolton).
Any person who wishes to sell goods or articles, which includes food and living things, from a mobile unit e.g. ice cream vans, fruit and vegetable vans, hot and cold food and drinks, butty/sandwich trailers, flower sellers etc., who operate from a street within Bolton must have a street trading consent. The Bolton area includes private property if members of the public have access without payment. There are no restrictions on where you may pitch or operate, but you must not cause obstruction or nuisance, be in a prohibited area, or within 100 metres of a fixed premises retailing in the same goods.
For the purpose of Schedule 4 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982; the following are not street trading:
- trading by a person acting as a pedlar under the authority of a pedlar’s certificate granted under the Pedlar’s Act 1871
- anything done in a market or fair the right to hold which was acquired by virtue of a grant or acquired or established by virtue of an enactment or order
- trading in a trunk road picnic area provided by the Secretary of State under section 112 of the Highways Act 1980
- trading as a news vendor within the require specification as defined by the 1982 Act
(i) is carried on at premises used as a petrol filling station
(ii) is carried on at premises used as a shop or in a street adjoining premises so used and as part of the business of the shop
- selling things, or offering or exposing them for sale, as a rounds man
- the use of trading under Part VIIA of the Highways Act 1980 of an object or structure placed on, in or over a highway
- the operation of facilities for recreation or refreshment under Part VIIA of the Highways Act 1980
- the doing of anything authorised by regulations made under section 5 of the Police, Factories etc. (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916
There are six street trading pitches allocated in Bolton Town Centre. Each of these pitches is currently occupied by traders that hold street trading licences (not consents). These pitches are allocated through the Development and Regeneration Department, Bolton Council, Victoria Square, Bolton BL1 1RU or by telephone on 01204 336128. There are currently no vacant pitches.
Before completing an application form, please ensure you read through the relevant guide on the Downloads tab.
Complete the Street trader application form on the Downloads tab and return it to the Licensing Team.
All enquiries regarding street trading licences for Bolton Town Centre must be directed to the Development and Regeneration Department, Bolton Council, Victoria Square, Bolton BL1 1RU or by telephone on 01204 336128.
Street trading consents can be issued for various durations - see below.
Street trading licences are issued for one year and are renewable annually. All enquiries regarding street trading licences for Bolton Town Centre must be directed to the Development and Regeneration Department, Bolton Council, Victoria Square, Bolton BL1 1RU or by telephone on 01204 336128.
Depending on the street trading consent you require, the costs are:
- up to 3 days £116 plus plate charge £12
- up to 8 days £140 plus plate charge £12
- 1 month £176 plus plate charge £12
- 3 month £234 plus plate charge £34
- 6 months £411 plus plate charge £34
- 12 months £586 plus plate charge £34
The Licensing Team will not process an application unless the necessary fee is paid in advance. Please send a cheque (made payable to Bolton Council) or postal order for the payment to the Licensing Unit - the postal address and telephone number to pay by credit/debit card can be found on the Contacts tab. Credit cards are subject to a 1.463% surcharge, this reflects the banks charges to the Council for accepting credit card payments.
Once a street trading consent or licence is issued, all traders are requied to comply with the 'street trading conditions' attached to the consent or licence, for example (extracts from 'street trading conditions'):
- a street trader shall ensure that no street is obstructed or danger caused to a person using that street
- a street trader shall not cause nuisance or annoyance to persons using the street
- ensure refuse and litter is not deposited in the street
- the plate supplied by the Council will need to be fixed to the rear of the vehicle in a conspicuous position
- a street trader shall not trade within 100 metres of any fixed retail outlet
- if you employ staff to assist with your business then they must also be registered on your consent and with the Bolton Council.
A full copy of the standard conditions can be found on the Downloads tab.
If you wish to compliment, complain or comment on a street trader please contact the Licensing Team.
Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.