What is involved when removing a body from England or Wales?

There is no restriction on moving bodies within England and Wales, but you need to notify the coroner for the district in which the body is lying if you want to move the deceased to Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands, or overseas. Names and telephone numbers of coroners are listed in your local phone book.

To move the body you will need a form 104 (Form of notice to a coroner of intention to remove a body out of England) which can be obtained from any registrar or a coroner. You will also need to give the form 104 to the coroner and enclose any certificate for burial or cremation already issued.

How long will it take to get the authorisation?

The coroner will acknowledge receipt of your notice and let you know when the body can be moved – this is usually four clear days from when your notice was received.

In urgent situations, it may be possible to bring this forward.

Bolton Council

Coroners Office

Howell Croft North



Telephone 01204 333333
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events