Can I send my child to a mainstream school?

Children with special educational needs have the right to be educated in mainstream schools where parents wish it and the interests of the other children can be protected. It also requires the school to inform parents where they are making special educational needs provision for their child.

All schools have a designated member of staff, the SENCO (Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator), who has responsibility for special educational needs. Schools also have a special educational needs governor who has a particular responsibility for the SEN Policy and ensuring its delivery.

What happens if a mainstream school can't meet my child's needs?

There are a small proportion of pupils whose needs are so severe that they cannot be met by the resources available to mainstream schools and the support services available to them. These pupils will require an Education, Health and Care Plan and may be placed in either a mainstream or a special school.

Fairness and access to education

Schools and post-16 education providers can not treat disabled pupils less favourably and need to make reasonable adjustments so that disabled pupils are not put at a substantial disadvantage. They also need to prepare strategies for increasing accessibility over time. See part Part 4 of the Disability Discrimination Act (1995) for full details.

It should be noted that these duties are all anticipatory i.e. schools need to consider the requirements of current and future disabled pupils.  This means that schools are expected to make reasonable enquiries to find out whether children currently on roll, as well as those seeking admission, have a disability. 

Inclusion & Statutory Assessment Service

Bolton Council

Paderborn House

16 Howell Croft North



Telephone 01204 338612
Telephone 01204 338653
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events