View your account online or Make a claim online
Housing benefit
How much can be awarded 
Report a change in circumstances
Universal Credit
Computer and internet access
Home Visits 

View your account online

If you are an existing housing benefit customer, you can view your housing benefit account online. You will need to register but once registered you can view your  housing benefit details, request e billing for Council Tax or set up a Direct Debit for Council Tax.

View my account online

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is available to people on a low income who are renting their homes to help them to afford to pay the rent.

If you have a partner we will include their income and savings as well when we work out any benefit entitlement  

The amount of housing benefit due to you is worked out by looking at:

  • How much money you have coming in. (You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working.)
  • Your personal circumstances and the amount of rent you have to pay.
  • The amount of savings you have (more than £16,000 will normally disqualify you).  

How much can be awarded?

Benefit can only be awarded towards the eligible Local Housing Allowance rate for a property if you rent from a private landlord, or the eligible rent if you rent from a housing association.  

We will also look at the number of people living in your property. You can work out how many bedrooms your household needs under LHA or if you are under occupying (bedroom tax) at

Find out the current LHA rates

The amount of benefit may also be reduced if you have other adults in the property, for example children over the age of 18. This is called a non dependent deduction.View the current rate of deductions

From June 2014, some people will have to claim Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit for help with their housing costs.

Make a claim online

Make a claim online

Report a change in circumstances

Report a change in circumstances

Universal Credit

Universal Credit aims to make the welfare system simpler by replacing six benefits, and credits with a single monthly payment if you are on a low income or out of work. It includes support for the costs of housing, children and childcare, as well as support for disabled people and carers.

From June 2014, some people in Bolton will be able to claim Universal Credit. Universal Credit merges a number of existing benefits into one single payment:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income Related Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit.

If you already receive one of the six benefits above, you will need to continue to do so for now and would not be eligible for Universal Credit at this stage.

Who is eligible to apply?

You may be eligible to make a claim if you live in one of the following postcodes.

BL1   BL2  BL3 BL4   
 BL5 1  BL5 3  BL6 4  BL6 9  

You must also:

  • Have no dependant children
  • Have a valid bank account and national insurance number

For more detail on exclusions from Universal Credit, vist the Universal Credit page

What are the main changes?

  • You will need to claim online (external link)
  • Your Universal Credit will be paid directly to one person in the household each month
  • Any help you get with your rent will be included with your Universal Credit payment and you will then pay the landlord yourself

Computer and Internet Access

If you are unable to access the internet at home to make a claim online, Bolton Council have approximately 200 computers across the borough which are free to access. View more details about internet access.

Home Visits 

The Benefits Service has a dedicated team who can visit people in their own homes. A visiting service is provided to:

  • residents over the age of 60
  • residents with a disability
  • residents who are vulnerable

The team offer advice on and complete application forms on a range of benefits, contact us to find out more

Housing Benefits

Town Hall

Victoria Square



Telephone 01204 331590

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events