If you wish to construct a bridge, building or other structure over a public highway, or alter such a construction, you must have a licence from the council.

You must also obtain the consent of the council if you wish to position any display, overhead beam, rail, pipe, cable, wire or similar apparatus over, along or across a highway.

The maximum extent that a display can protrude over the public footway is 1.05 metres, subject to there being 2.10 metres clear passageway between the edge of the display and the road (or any intervening pavement furniture such as a bollard or telephone box).

The council can, in exceptional circumstances, allow a greater depth of display where the pavement is very wide, or insist upon a smaller depth of display where pedestrian footfall is very high.

All goods or equipment on the display, under the terms of the license, shall be kept within the area specified.

To allow for the safe passage of pedestrians beneath projections from the frontage of a development, such as canopies, blinds or CCTV equipment, a minimum vertical clearance of 2.75 metres is required from the surface of the footway to the underside of any projection.

If at a future date pavement furniture is added by the council and the display area of the license is affected, the license will be reviewed or removed.

How much will it cost?


Projections over Highway Licence Fees

 Initial 12 month period
 Annual renewal fee
 (12 months)
 £409.00  £188

How do I apply?

You can download the application form

If you need any more information or advice about highway licences, or help in completing your application please contact us.

Highways & Engineering

Bolton Council

Paderborn House

16 Howell Croft North



Telephone 01204 336600
View map

Opening times

Times are displayed in a 24 hour format.

Open Close
Monday 09:00  17:00 
Tuesday 09:00  17:00 
Wednesday 09:00  17:00 
Thursday 09:00  17:00 
Friday 09:00  17:00 

Upcoming activities

Upcoming events